Statement of Policy
The West Toronto Lawn Bowling Club is committed to providing an environment for social and sporting activities in which all participants are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to making access to this environment unimpeded by considerations of race, creed, colour, national origin, political or religious affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, family relationship, or disability.
We welcome anyone who has an interest in lawn bowling, and even people who are not interested in bowling can become an associate member and have access to our social activities.
In order to provide unimpeded access to membership, when approached by someone expressing a wish to join the club, shall be guided by the following rules:
- The applicant shall be directed to the treasurer, who can accept payment of the membership fee. If the treasurer is not present, the applicant shall be directed to a board member, who shall make arrangements for payment of the membership fee.
- No applicant shall be questioned as to sexual orientation or sexual habits.
- No applicant shall be questioned as to religious or political affiliation.
- No applicant shall be questioned as to marital status or family relationships.
- No applicant shall be refused admission or turned away on the basis of a visible disability or for other reasons of appearance.
The board member called on to accept the application shall also obey the above rules.
In order to provide an environment in which members are treated with dignity and respect, all members must obey the following rules:
- All members are to be treated with civility and respect for their humanity.
- No member is to be threatened, aggressively interrogated, or otherwise verbally harassed.
- No member is to be harassed by aggressive body language or gestures.
In order to share power in an equitable fashion, it is necessary to give every member an equal opportunity to hold club office. No member may be refused nomination to any elected position on the basis of race, creed, colour, national origin, political or religious affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, family relationship, or disability.
The West Toronto Lawn Bowling Club is a member of the Ontario Lawn Bowling Association (OLBA). The OLBA has its own strong anti-racism, anti-sexism, and anti-harassment policies, including the ability to take disciplinary action against members of its affiliated clubs. Any member who feels that he or she has been unfairly treated or discriminated against in any of the ways described in this document can file a complaint with the OLBA board of directors. The procedure is outlined in every edition of the Ontario Lawn Bowls Annual.
The West Toronto Lawn Bowling Club executive unanimously approve and adopt the policy and regulations set out in this document on the 13th day of January 2010.